Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lemon & Cream Cheese... I think Yes!!


 These bars are such an amazing summer dessert... you'll want to eat the whole pan... seriously... do not make if you're going to be home alone, you'll eat them all!!  There's just something so fresh about Lemon, especially fresh squeezed, zested lemon.  I loved how my house smelt after I made these up.  


So I originally saw a picture of these on Pintrest... I went searching for a recipe and couldn't really find one that I liked or that didn't seem overly complicated.  Then I found www.recipetips.com and theirs didn't sound too bad so I figured I would try it out and boy am I glad I did!

Here's what you're going to need for the cake part:

1 box Lemon Cake Mix
1/3 Cup Butter, softened
1 Egg

Blend this all together until it takes on kind of a crumb mixture like this:


Then press it all into the bottom of a greased 9x13" baking dish.  

Now for the Cream Cheese part:
Beat 8 ounces of softened cream cheese until smooth
Add in:
1 C Powdered Sugar
Zest from 1/2 of a lemon
2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

Mix it all together until nice and smooth.  
Then removed about 1/2 C of the mixture and leave it in the fridge for later on. 
 (Side note here:  I couldn't resist trying... this cream cheese/lemon mixture is absolutely fabulous on a poppy seed bagel!)

Next:
Add 2 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla to remaining cream cheese mixture.

Now pour mixture over your "cake".

Bake in an oven heated to 350 for 25-30 minutes or until it's set and just starting to brown.

When it comes out is the most difficult part of this whole recipe... you're going to want to eat it right then and there.  But after you let it cool for 10-15 minutes on the counter you need to put the whole pan in the fridge and leave it in there until it's all firm and cold!  

FRUSTRATING for someone like me that wants to eat it RIGHT NOW!!

After you wait, and try it and find it isn't cold all the way through yet, wait some more.  Read a book, fold that load of laundry that is haunting you, eat a poppy seed bagel and then come back.  

Now, spread the cream cheese lemon mixture that you set aside (assuming you didn't use it all on that bagel you were snacking on) and spread it over the top of your completely cooled dessert.

Now you can cut it into bars, or squares and enjoy it!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

These look amazing! What I am really curious about is if you made them last night or right before you posted this at 7:35 AM?? lol