Friday, August 12, 2011

Jarred Salmon??

Sounds weird and I just didn't know about this recipe, but ever since my friend Alice mentioned French Friday's with Dorie, I've been dying to give it a try.  For my first attempt at it though I sure ended up on a week with a very different recipe!

Salmon in a Jar.... I gotta say, this was a new one for me for sure... I wasn't completely sure I would even eat it.  It just sounded so WEIRD.  Being the food lover that I am I decided to just go for it though and see how it turns out.  I was lucky enough to have all the needed ingredients on hand, which was fabulous because the budget right now is non existent!!  And I always have salmon in the freezer.

Now according to the recipe, you can eat this right outta the fridge... For me, not so much.  I LOVE salmon, but I've never even been remotely tempted to eat it without cooking.  So after mine came out of the fridge I threw it on a hot grill for a few minutes on each side.  Then I put it on top of a beautiful bed of greens and tomatoes.  Ta-da!  Salmon Salad. I served the yummy potatoes on the side.  Fabulous!!

I have to say it really was delish!  The flavor infusion was wonderful.  I'm encouraged by the results to try some of my own "jar recipes" and get different flavors.

Unfortunately, the husband had my camera in the field during all the preparations that go into making this dish.  But if you go to the FFwD site you can see what it looks like in the jar.  I have to say... mine didn't look nearly as glamorous as Dorie's.  In fact I was really pretty sure that I wouldn't eat it.  LOL!!  There is something to be said about camera presentation.

8 comments:

Elaine said...

Welcome to French Fridays with Dorie! I bet it made a delicious salad!

Foodiva said...

Welcome to our weekly cooking group! Yes, this was a tough one to start with, but I'm glad you gave it a go with your variation :-).

Adriana said...

You are a brave one for joining in this week! Your grilled version looks fantastic with the greens and the potatoes. Thanks for the great post and the inspiration.

dulceshome.com said...

Welcome! I'm so happy you enjoyed your first recipe! I didn't get to this week's recipe, but it seems like lots of people liked it!

Jane Wetzel said...

What a delightful blog! tfs :)

Nana said...

That is a tough way to start this group, but half the fun is the challenge. I could not get passed the raw portion,
but looking at yours, I might try that. Welcome to
the FFWD gang, Tricia and I have really enjoyed doing these recipes.

acookingmizer said...

Woot! Yay! Good for you! I'm glad you decided to join us!! Maybe one of these days that I'm back with Mei and Jack for a visit we can hole up in your kitchen and make whatever the FFwD dinner happens to be... !! How cool would that be??

Cher said...

Welcome aboard! You did pick a unique week to start :-)
Glad it worked out for you - it sounds like roasting was the key.