Monday, August 1, 2011

For the Love of French Fries!

I don't know about you, but French Fries are a favorite in our home. It seems like no matter where you go out to eat they're served as an option for a side... everywhere from McDonald's to Red Lobster. It's a bit crazy. Myself, I LOVE them. But I'm not a huge fan of store bought frozen fries. And I really try not to deep fry if I don't have too. I've been playing around with potatoes trying to find the perfect fry and according to my husband... I did it!

Here's what you're going to need:

4 Large Russet Potatoes, sliced into wedges
Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Sugar
1/2 Paparika
1/4 Ground Mustard
1/2 Garlic Powder
1/4 Pepper
Couple Shakes of All Spice (Such as Lawry's)

These are so easy and believe me, delish that you're going to be making them all the time yourself. Way better than those frozen varieties. Plus it's all fresh, no preservatives and you can customize the spices any way you want.

Okay so start by washing your potatoes, no dirt required for this recipe :) Then you're going to slice them into wedges. For the size of potatoes I had (we are in Idaho after all!) I had about 16 wedges per potato. You just want to make sure they're not much more than 1/2" thick, otherwise they'll take way too long too cook.


Now that you've got them all sliced, throw them into a large zip lock bag and drizzle them with a little extra virgin olive oil. Close the bag and give them a good toss to make sure they're all coated.

Next combine all your spices into a small bowl and mix them up to blend. Then you're going to put them onto a large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Make sure that they're all spread out and not touching, this speeds up the cooking process. I like to put a cooling rack on top of my baking sheet. Two reasons: this lets the hot air circulate all the way around the fry, and it gives you these cool little grill marks on fries when they're all done. So this is what mine look like before the oven.


Now you need to throw them into the oven... okay maybe throwing the baking sheet into the oven isn't such a good idea, gently place it into the oven. Oven should be heated up to 425 degrees. Let the fries bake for about 25 minutes. Less if you've got smaller potatoes, a little longer if you can actually find bigger ones.

See the nifty grill marks... they're so good. I also love that with all the spices on there you don't need any of those fatty dipping sauces to go along with them. They're perfect just they way they are!

1 comment:

acookingmizer said...

Love it!! Totally going to make these!!