Sunday, July 31, 2011

Inspiration & An Invaluable Gift!

I've always loved to be in my kitchen preparing food. In addition, I've always had a joy to share the food I prepare with my family and friends. There's a joy in seeing something that I prepared with my hands bring a smile to someones face. It warms my heart and fills their stomachs! I've been cooking as long as I can remember. I owe much of my success in the kitchen to my wonderful mom and my amazing Grandma! I learned so much standing in a kitchen next to them.

Lately during dinner in between mouth fulls, and sometimes with a mouth full, the kids have been saying, "this is delicious, I need the recipe!" I honestly don't know where they came up with that one, but it cracks me up every time. My daughter (a foodie like myself) is always saying I should open a restaurant of my own. My wonderfully supportive husband has said the same thing on several occasions, especially when the meal I've prepared isn't coming from a cookbook, but straight from my head.

About a month ago my dad was going through some boxes from my Grandparents house. In one he found something that I consider absolutely invaluable... a recipe book written in my Grandma's hand. I can't tell you the number of memories I have of standing in my Grandma's kitchen helping her cook... learning her recipes, and gaining so much valuable insight. She was such an amazing woman and I miss her every single day. My dad gave me this book and I absolutely cherish it.


It's a journal of sorts, meant to originally be a date book. It's dated 1928 so I'm assuming it's about the same time that she started adding her recipes to it. There are also recipes from her friends and other family members, they're all carefully noted. There are some pages that have "very good" written on the top and underlined. Another simply says "not so much". There are several recipes that I recognize as my grandma's and seeing them written in her handwriting just makes them that much more special.

I've always been an avid follower of several food blogs. Recently a friend of mine, Alice, started her own. I have to say it's a good thing she's overseas right now and not here because I'd been in her kitchen eating every day. A few years ago, this blog was it's own recipe blog, but I didn't keep up with it. Now however, life is finally in a consistent place and I want to share what I have to offer in the kitchen. So I'm taking inspiration from my encouraging family, my friends who are food lovers and explorers like myself, and most importantly from my Grandmother who is always with me and found a way to get me this special gift that I will cherish forever.

I hope that you'll come along with me on my journey. I'll make no promises in how often I'll post, but I'll just say that I'll do it as much as I can. I hope you're inspired to create or share my recipes yourself... and share your own as well!

1 comment:

acookingmizer said...

Love it!! Totally jealous of your notebook/day planner by the way!! ... I'm always looking for something interesting to keep my recipes in - although I have settled for paper that will crinkle and age well when I turn the pages or cook over it. Happy to have inspired you - maybe my kitchen will be one day near to your kitchen and you can come over for "taste testing" all the time!